Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday's Story: 5 pound dumbbells

I have been thinking a lot about my Grandpa lately. And as I was thinking about what to write today I thought of him and remembered this one time...

One day I was playing around with my parents 5 lbs hand weights. I remember they were white plastic and I was told they were filled with sand and to not play with them. I was somewhere near 8 or 9 when I had the great idea that it's not playing if you really plan on exercising with them. I was strong and full of ideas. I even came up with the idea to do this crisscross action, flapping my arms out and coming in together than crossing each other. I am so cool, I thought. Then suddenly THWACK! In one big swing 2 five pound weights collided, my thumb in the middle. I was in some major pain!
My nail turned blood red and my thumb swelled. My parents had to hold my arm up all night just so I could sleep. The next morning there it was wommping away still!!!
My grandpa asked to see it.
My Grandpa Wesley was a friendly straight forward kind of person. He asked for a needle. My eyes got big as he said he needed to stick the needle through my nail to alleviate the pressure!!! I used all my trust in him and allowed him to do it. I teared up and said ouch a lot but the second blood came out of it, to my relief, it felt much better.
Had it been up to me I'd have just left it that way and I'm sure I'd have suffered for a long while more and eventually it would have gone away in time but why needlessly suffer? One procedure, one moment of pain got rid of the whole thing.

I guess what I'm getting at is CARPE DIEM. I think we all should do today those things that we know will heal us. Yes, I'm talking about the physical body but I'm also going towards the spiritual part of us. If there is a canker in your heart or mine I think it's time open in up and deal with it. Get it out now so we can heal. Make peace in your life today however you know you must. Just face today whatever it is that bothers us and keeps coming to our minds.
Even if this means to abolish the thought altogether because it's not a good one.
Better yet...
Let's just quit playing around with the 5 pound dumbbells in the first place!!

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

David banged his thumb with a hammer a few weeks back and his doctor cousin stuck a needle in it to relieve the pressure. It's healing nicely.

Unknown said...

you are so cute and so right! Man I miss hanging out with you!

Trisha & Robert Wright said...

just remembering that incident makes my tummy hurt!!