
So....
After some careful thought decided that I should write a letter to the school and governing board as this was not something I feel I should ever happen. If I need to speak or give a note to my son, then that is the bottom line. No parent should ever have ZERO authority. I'm fairly passionate about things like this. Still I'd like to hear what your thoughts are on the matter so here's the letter:
Dear Gilbert Public School Board:
I was told that Neely Traditional Academy wanted all of its children on time for school because this week is AIMS and so the school would not admit children after 9am. My son was very sad to know this because it meant he could not be there for the 8:30 am ultra sound to find out if he was to have a new brother or sister. We compromised by telling him we’d call the school as soon as possible and give them the message to give to him about this.
When I called I was told by Olivia that he could not have the message right away or even at lunch time, he would have to wait until after school!!
I asked if I could come and have lunch with him instead and was again told No.
I was so frustrated that GPS has become so engrossed with AIMS that my right to inform my child of a LARGE family event during an appropriate break in his testing was not allowed!!!
Why can’t we use some common sense? Wouldn’t he do better on the tests getting the happy news during one of the small breaks??
I was told that Neely Traditional Academy wanted all of its children on time for school because this week is AIMS and so the school would not admit children after 9am. My son was very sad to know this because it meant he could not be there for the 8:30 am ultra sound to find out if he was to have a new brother or sister. We compromised by telling him we’d call the school as soon as possible and give them the message to give to him about this.
When I called I was told by Olivia that he could not have the message right away or even at lunch time, he would have to wait until after school!!
I asked if I could come and have lunch with him instead and was again told No.
I was so frustrated that GPS has become so engrossed with AIMS that my right to inform my child of a LARGE family event during an appropriate break in his testing was not allowed!!!
Why can’t we use some common sense? Wouldn’t he do better on the tests getting the happy news during one of the small breaks??
Either way:
Your testing does not trump my parental rights to speak to my child!!
If I am wrong about this please let me know. I’d be happy to hear that Neely make a mistake in it’s judgment this day instead of hearing that the testing is so monumentally important that during this week I have no rights to communicate with my son when at school.
Thanks for your time,
Roseanne Service
Your testing does not trump my parental rights to speak to my child!!
If I am wrong about this please let me know. I’d be happy to hear that Neely make a mistake in it’s judgment this day instead of hearing that the testing is so monumentally important that during this week I have no rights to communicate with my son when at school.
Thanks for your time,
Roseanne Service
6 comments:
You're letter sounds great but I would take the photo down right away. Threats of shooting people, especially in a school are not taken lightly.
You can delete this comment after you read it!
Love ya!
I think the letter is good. Go get 'em girl :)
Right on dude. The school board is totally on a power trip right now as it is, and more people should send the letters like that. It wouldn't hurt to bring up future re-elections and stuff.
Very well put I think it clearly states your understanding of their testing needs and your rights as a parent. The school soumds like they were on terror lockdown instead of testing.
And I know my kids are getting 10-15 minute bathroom leg streatching breaks all day long through their testing to help keep them relaxed and focused.
congrats again on the girl :)
and as for the sign I simply took it as the sign the SCHOOL would have had up, given their closed doors attitude
YOU tell them, Roseanne!! ...Let's start an angry mob!
Post a Comment