Monday, June 01, 2009

Fun in the Sun!!



Sooo I've thought about doing this for a long time and so today I'm going to attempt to inspire all you first time Arizonians to get out and see all the fun events that I go to and enjoy. You'd be surprised at how many things we are literally surrounded by that you may have not known were there.

AND if you've got a great place you like to go near by that is free or cheep let me know if I missed it!!



Firstly I am not a creature of habit I crave variety so I go to several places and since it be SUMMER I must first list all my favorite pools by web pages:



My favorite is Mesquite Groves!! It's a bit of a drive but well worth it. Lazy river w/ inflated tubes, Whirlpool, slides, Large play structure.... So fun and cheap! Kids are now $1, and Adults are $2.25

Off of Riggs between Lindsay and Val vista

http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=733pageid=733



Next fav is Hamilton Aquatics center. Again a bit of a drive off of Ocotillo and Arizona Ave. Same prices as above. Same above fun features yet Slightly more crowded but still awesome.

http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=569



3rdly I love the indoor wave pool at Kiwanis! Adults are $7, kids $5 but well worth it to be burn free and have fun that includes indoor slides. Off of Guadalupe and McClintock.

http://www.tempe.gov/index.aspx?page=1957





4th is Desert Oasis (Notice the Chandler pool trend here, way more fun for smaller kids)

It's on Summit which is a west turn off of Alma School road just north of Elliot. Way fun! And remember all Chandler pools are $1 per kid and a $2.25 for an adult!! Abby loves this one because of the whale that spouts water and also the double small kiddy slides.

http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=567




Then there is the Greenfield Pool off Greenfield and Elliot $1 for kids and $3 for Adults.
Very similar to Brimhall if you were to ask me...
http://www.gilbertaz.gov/aquatics/pool-greenfield.cfm





And we shall not forget there is the Mesquite pool which is really close. Price same as above. Mesquite st is a west turn off of Gilbert rd., just south of Elliot. (Just remember everything close can get pretty crowded sometimes)




Then in Mesa there is Brimhall Jr. High on Southern and Higley. Kids $2 Adults $4

and for a change of pace try the newer Williams Field pool:

On Higley, between Williams Field and Ray. Kids $1 Adults $3

http://www.gilbertaz.gov/aquatics/pool-williamsfield.cfm






What ever you do never never go into a unknown public pool with out a good tip. There are some valley pools that are just unsavory... so just be warned. (like Chandler's Folley pool, not a fan. And MANY of the Mesa, Tempe and Phoenix pools. Many are way over priced.)

I will be going next week here;
http://mesaaz.gov/parksrec/Aquatics/pools/Rhodes.aspx and try the flow rider!!



AND NOW:
Let us not forget the saving awesomeness of SPLASH PADS!
~AND They are FREE PEOPLE!!



My #1 fav. is Chuparosa Park Spray Pad on Dobson Rd., between Queen Creek & Germann roads.
I love it because every time I was there NOBODY else was!!!
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=683

On that same web page I just listed above was Espee (my #3rd and Desert breeze my #5). I love them both but to be honest It's been almost 2 years since I was last at Desert Breeze. Espee rocks because It's soo close!

The Tempe Town Lake Splash pad is my actual 2nd fav.
http://www.tempe.gov/lake/recreation/splashplayground.htm
2 small water slides, spouting whales, sand pits, water guns, water table and LIFEGUARDS!! Great for ages 6 months to about 8 years.

The San Tan Village splash pad is my 4th fav. It's a bummer that they have no picts posted on the web page but at least the hours are there. It's small but located right next to a pet shop and a DQ. There is also a small playground area.
http://www.shopsantanvillage.com/venue.asp?id=8614


And here's a great resource for fun in the sun:
http://phoenix.about.com/od/famtheme/Theme_Parks_Family_Golf_and_Water_Parks.htm





Some other cool ideas are:

#1 Going to the McQueen Park activity center! It's FREE!

510 N. Horne St.
(South of Guadalupe & East of McQueen, just South of Playa Del Rey Elementary School)
Amenities:
• Game area equipped with:
- Billiards Table - Foosball Table
- Ping Pong Table - Shuffleboard
• Gymnasium with stage
• Large lobby with 65” big screen TV and sometimes video games are actually fixed and working!! There is playgrounds outside and you can fish in the lake behind it. (but ask first about if they are ok to eat because sometimes they are not due to fertilizer issues.)http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/eservices/parks/pdf/lp/Summer09MPAC.pdf





#2 the Southwest Regional Library off of Greenfield and Guadalupe

http://www.mcldaz.org/library/userdef/branches/ud_mcld_branch_SE.aspx

Click on the calendar of events for some fun or enjoy the summer reading program!! If you get bored go outside to the preserve for a walk, fishing, pictures or visit the small playground.



#3 Cosmo Dog park: http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/parks/popups/cosmo-park.cfm

Off of Ray just East of Greenfield rd, (aka: San Tan rd) It's Free!! Kids love to watch fido swim and play! There is a hose to wash the dogs and cool off. Also there is a play ground for the kids but go early in the morning or as the sun is setting, no sense in frying in the sun! Don't forget to read the park rules before going!






#4 Freestone Recreation Center's rock wall!

For Gilbert residents it's only $2 per kid and $3.50 for an Adult. But if you have a family crew you may find it cheaper to utilize the family rate of $8. http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/parks/popups/freestonerecctr.cfm It's great because it's so close. Off of Guadalupe just East of Lindsay. Kids need to be age 5 or older. They also have a Kiddy corner for ages 1 1/2 to 7 but there is a time limit of an hour and a half.






Polar Ice: http://www.polaricegilbert.com/

$8 per adult $7 per kid and don't forget the $3.25 skate rental Only been there once because hello I'm a cheepo frugal penny pinching mommy!!







Now I'm moving on to regular old play Parks Just my favs though, sorry! Always take your kids bikes, trikes or razors! Way better!!
#1 is Playtopia at Tumbleweed park off of Germann rd and McQueen rd.
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=666
It's Super fun and shady!!!


View Larger Map

#2 is the aforementioned #1 cool idea: McQueen Park activity center
Covered, shady mostly for kids under 7 though but bigger kids can go by themselves inside the facility...

#3 Freestone park http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/parks/popups/freestone-park.cfm
really Big hills, ramadas, playgrounds, water, feeding the ducks, ect...= lots to do!




#4 Rancho Del Mar off Guadalupe between Az ave and Extension
http://mesaaz.gov/parksrec/parks/ranchodelmar.aspx It's close to me and to restaurants and the playground is large. Good place for lunch!!!


View Larger Map

#5 Sun View park great for lunch and very close. number 1 on this map: http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/areamaps/parks.cfm


View Larger Map

#6 Crossroads Park http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/parks/popups/crossroad-park.cfm
Hello, covered shade play areas, need I say more!! Off of Greenfield between Warner and Ray. Avoid it on Saturday mornings, it can get crowded. Located between the ball fields and Polar Ice.


View Larger Map

#7 Springfield Park
Not an actual park but a community playground. Take Cooper down to Elliot. Turn East on Elliot. Take the 2nd left (North) on Springfield rd. There it is. It's close and has a huge covered Ramada.

Ok I'm soo done with this blog entry Whew!
Let me know of your great finds but remember I am a miserly stingy yet thrifty tight-wad Cheapo!!!

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Why wasn't there spray pads when I was a child? :)

Anonymous said...

You are so helpful! I really appreciate this post.