Sunday, June 25, 2006

Happy 89th birthday!


Grandpa's Birthday!
My Grandpa was a army tank mechanic in WWII. He had part of his skull blown up and pieces lodged into his brain during a fierce fire fight. At the last second his body was retrieved and taken to the infirmary. They said he would probably not live and if he did he would be a vegetable. As the days past by it became more of a possibility that he would survive. The doctors were amazed at every milestone as the metal plate in his head and other wounds from shrapnel healed well. They said he would never walk, he defied this also. I remember him once saying something like a doctor told him that he owed his life to the fact that he didn't smoke or drink because the effects of this on the brain change the brain chemistry and would have resulted in his brain exploding when the skull pieces pierced it. He is an inspiration to freedom lovers and miracle believers. He is 89! No one could have guessed that he'd ever live this long. At his party he told me the story about how he used the Holy Ghost to help him repair the tanks. He said that people think it is only spiritual help that the Spirit brings but this isn't true. He is a companion to us giving to us truth and knowledge. He helps us discern truth from error. There are hundreds of stories about the miracles that happened to him, too many to list here. It is sufficient to say that he planted a seed of faith in me as a child through these stories and now I have tested and know for myself that it is real and true just as well as I know that the sun rises everyday. I am so thankful for him and his testimony.

Then there is my Grandma. She is every bit as wonderful as my grandpa. We once told her that it must be hard to take care of grandpa everyday. She said it was actually a privilege because he didn't deserve to have his head blown up by the Germans. He gave all he had and nearly his life in sacrifice for our freedom. My Grandma is so cute!At the party I was sad that I hadn't brought my camera but Tres had just given me a new phone that day, a razor, and it had a camera on it. The pictures came out better than I could have dreamed and because of the email option I'm happy I get to share them with you. My grandpa had a nice new Hawaiian shirt on for the party and looked great.

Cousins Robyn and Sherda were there.

So was Cousin Travis.


Here is a pict of Cousin Donnie, Grandpa Wesley and Cousin Wesley.
~I love my Colvin Family!

No comments: